Wednesday, March 26, 2008

 

Bienvenidos a Blighty

After not having much sleep on the night of the 23rd due to the snoring guy in the hostel, not much sleep on the flight of the 24th and the same again on the flight on the 25th, I arrived on the 26th in London surprisingly well. I was now glad that I bought the down bodywarmer in Puerto Natales, as it was cold back here.

The first shock came with a £9.20 fair from Gatwich station to East Dulwich train station. I then used up my only UK coins in a very short conversation with Shelley to say that I arrived. The machine wanted 40p more and cut short my conversation. Not something that strange here, but when you've been converting the costs in each country back to pounds you realise just how expensive England is. Craig's mother picked me up and took me over to Shelley's place.

It was great to see an old friend again after 8+ months, but it was a bit strange as well, like some sort of a dream, maybe due to the lack of sleep or from the change in environment, but things didn't seem real.

After chatting for a while, swapping some stories we went out to a cafe of a fry up. While getting stuck in to some good British food at its best, our attention got distracted by some raised voices. Some guy had come in to the cafe and wanted some instant service from the guy working there who was on the phone. Because, he didn't get instant service he was threatening the worker with violence, by saying something like, putting a 2 2 combination on him. What is this place London that someone would want to be violent to somebody else because they didn't want to wait a minute.

Welcome back to London! Welcome back to reality!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?