Sunday, January 27, 2008

 

Punta Arenas

We arrived in Punta Arenas on a Sunday ie it was dead as a dead thing that was dead. While trying to find the Hostel (Hostel Betty) I spotted a restaurant called La Mercado. After checking in we went back to La Mercado to find that Sunday was Kareoke day at La Mercado and the machine was being well used. This place had more of a social club feel to it than a restaurant. I asked for the bill and the waitress asked if we wanted a free pisco sour. Why not! I´m glad I did as it was the best pisco sour I´ve had ever.

The day after it was midday before we made it out. A good job that things start late here. We booked on to the Pingüino trip, which goes at 4pm.

Ok, 8pm and we´re back from the trip to Otway to see the penguins. I did like how it was set out and there was plenty of information. This is the way to view wildlife, not in a zoo. It still felt quite intrusive, but the penguins seemed happy enough and I guess that´s what matters. It does get you thinking about evolusion though. Little torpedo like birds that swim so graceful, and waddle about on land.

Also my back has taken a turn for the worse and is now really hurting. I relaxed my lightweight ideals in Bolivia as it was looking like there wasn´t much more traveling left, and I now have more kit, which isn´t good. One more reason for traveling light.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?