Monday, January 21, 2008

 

La Ruta W

Day 1
The start of the day couldn´t have been easier with the bus picking us up from our Hostel (Hospadaje Maria). But on the trip I started to not feel too good, with stomach cramps. I thought it could be the start of food poisioning but we´ve not had any such problems in either Chile and Argentina. Lisa had to carry more gear as I was finding it really too much. We finally got to the camp. After some lunch and a chile out Lisa started off to the mirador de los torres de paine. I needed some rest. After about one and half hours I started off as well. The mirador is at the top of a steep bolder field. This is one of the most interesting sections on the ruta, and with my rucksack back at the tent I could make good time.

Back at the tent we had some pasta and talked about what time we needed to get up for the following day. Looking at the distance we had covered, we had a long way to go on the second day.

Day 2 and Day 3
I was going to write about these two days but although they were not that long ago I can´t remember them too well. One thing I do remember is being in a refugio and being asked to complete a questionaire. One of the question was what was your motivation for doing the W ruta. This did have me stumped.

Day 4
This was a tough day. Not for the distance, but for the weight we were carrying, my pack was lighter now with most of the food eaten. But I had a full 45 litre pack with the mat, tent, pit and water strapped to the outside. I´m not sure on the weight but it was too much, my ankles and back were giving me some pain.

There were some interesting river crossings to spice up the slog. Followed by some steep climbs, maybe they weren´t that steep but they felt it, and I was having problems keeping with with Lisa.

Day 5
This day was a easy day, a walk up the hill at the side of the camp. We took the ferry back to get the connection with our bus. The ferry was $11,000 - 11 quid. A lot for a half hour trip but they do have you where they want you.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?