Monday, November 26, 2007

 

Potosí - Cerro Rico

Potosí is a town that boomed due to the discovery of silver (Ag) in the hill (Cerro Rico) that over looks it. Mining and tourism would seem to be the only industries here, and are interlinked. We went one the tour today to visit the mine. First you visit the miners market to buy some dynamite. Yes in this town you can send you kid to the shops to get hold of some TNT, fertiliser, and fuses.

The miners all seem to be small, and this advantage becomes apparent when you´re in the mine. If you are tall buy their standards then you will be stooping a lot and still bumping your head and tripping over stuff. Parts of the roof were caving in and the wood props were hanging down with rocks looking like they would drop at any time. Bandanas were on sale to cover your mouth and nose. Problem, this just made muy glasses steam up and I couldn´t see, with it down I was choaking and gasping for air.

Lisa was determind to make it to the museum the first stop. She turned back when she started gasping for air, about 20 meters. I can simpathise, I was breathing profundo y tambien. Not something you want to do when you know what´s in the dust. Well I made it to the first part and the museum but, even there the air was unpleasant, and in parts standing upright was impossible. After a over long stop, I just wanted to get on with it, we started again. The roof of the tunnel was now even lower and the floor even more uneven. I was moving my bandana over my face and then banging my head, removing it and then choking with the dust. I say the guide up ahead with a girl. She said, I´m not going any further. I said, good idea. The guide asked if I was sure. Yes, I got what I wanted out of the trip.

What did I want out of the trip? An understanding of what the conditions are like, and what the 15,000 workers go through. The others on the trip who did go all the way said it got narrower and lower the further down.

Did I feel as though I missed out by turning back? No. I got out of it what I wanted.

Did I feel a wimp, in the land of machismo, being the only guy to turn back. No. Could I have carried on? Yes. But for what reasons. Not to be thought of as a wimp. I´m 40 and I know my own mind, if I don´t want to do something then I´m not doing it. Could I have carried on for a sense of achivement. Yes. But I guess, with my background, I want to be climbing up something to get to a top or mountain biking something technical to see if I can ride it, or how fast I can ride down hill.

Any regrets? No. Try everything to see if you like it, if you don´t, that´s you and you move on.

Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes. To try to undestand the shit people have to put up with to make a living.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?