Tuesday, September 04, 2007

 

Roatan

I was going to Roatan with the intention of doing a diving course - Padi open water (**see below). The prices are the cheapest in the world, but the most important reason I wanted to do it was that I have a friend who does a lot of diving and I wanted to see why he likes it so much.
We booked a minibus from our hotel ViaVia to the port, and there was another couple who were also going to Roatan - Simon (expat living in OZ) and Jill (Australian). We were getting on so well we decided to twin cabin so we could hang out together.
The boat to Roatan leaves at 7pm and we arrived just in the nick of time at 6:50. Roatan is very expensive for certain things eg the internet was 4Lempiras per minute. For this reason I´ve not been writing emails these last few days. It was only when we saw that there was a storm Felix that we started to use it.
We decided to take it easy for the first few days to relax from the traveling. Also I wasn´t feeling too well. The second day I was going to book onto a dive course but I started with stomach cramps as well as diarrhoea. I needed to wait until I got better, but we had time. Two days after I wasn´t feeling that much better but I went snorkling with Lisa, which was my first time snorking and was amazing. So I was really keen on doing a dive course now. But I needed to get better. The problem was there´s no pharmacy on Roatan in the west end and the only stuff they had wasn´t working. This later proved to be a minor problem.
We´d been talking with Simon and Jill about waiting Felix out in a better hotel on the island. But later that night we went to check the news on the internet and saw that Felix had changed into a cat 5 hurricane and was heading right for us.

**Now I´ve said many a time that I would never do a dive course because it does not interest me but what`s the point in going on a life changing experience if you`re not going to be open to new things and try new things.
TIME TO LEAVE!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?