Tuesday, September 04, 2007

 

Felix

We had been thinking that we could go to La Ceiba and wait Felix out in a nice hotel - most hotels on Roatan are little wood cabins. La Ceiba is just on the coast and we could easy get back to the bay islands if felix missed or died out. At this time it was looking like it was going to the north of Roatan and we had two days before it would hit anyway. Also I really didn´t feel up to doing much traveling in my condition as I´d only been able to eat a pot noodle and two bananas in the last two days.
However when we arrived in La Ceiba there was some new news, Felix had changed course more south ie heading right for us again. We decided to move to the capital Tegus, well I needed some convincing as I wasn´t feeling that well. It was only when I got to the bus station and then went to a pharmacy and while walking down the street and certain things that got me thinking. What did I see? There were several guys with pistols in the pockets of their jeans, others with machetes. I was thinkin that getting through a hurricane was one thing but the days after where the infrastructure of the city is down. What would happen? Looting, rape, murder..? The next big town further inland is San Pedro ie the Aids capital of Central America, and famous for its crime and gangs. No, were´re doing the right thing, get out of town.
Well were`re now in Tegus and we`ve been watching the news Felix started to break up when it hit land and most of the damage has been flooding. All we´ve had is a bit of rain.
Simon and Jill who stayed on the island, Jill was doing her padi, were evacuated and went to Mexico City.
I´ve now got some ciproflaxino and feeling a lot better. Although, a lot thiner after about 6 days of diarrhoea and eating little.
Now I would love to see a hurricane in relative safety. But I would rather miss it and be sure. Here in Tegus, gauges (pump action shotguns) are as ever present as always. Go for a coffee there´s a guard with a gauge, Pizza Hut there`s tow guards, the corner shop you´re in a steel cage and you have to ask or point for what you want. This is not a country to be in if the shit hits the fan.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?